Affair at Travisville Historical Marker
This marker notes the location of the first military action in Tennessee during the Civil War. This is where Union troops of the 12th Kentucky Calvary and the Home Guards of Houstonville Cavalry attacked a Confederate encampment at Travisville on September 29, 1861. The 100 Confederate troops refused to surrender. After being fired upon and losing four men, the Confederates retreated into the surrounding hills. This marker is located on Hwy. 200, 1.5 miles off Hwy. 127, 10 miles from Byrdstown.
Cordell Hull Birthplace & Museum State Park
Cordell Hull is a historical site owned by the State of Tennessee. The park consists of Cordell Hull's original log cabin birthplace and an exhibition building housing documents and artifacts, including the Nobel Peace Prize for Peace Medal. Hull's will provided for the placing of artifacts and books from his private apartment in a museum that was opened in Pickett County, Tennessee, in September 1996.
1300 Cordell Hull Memorial Dr.
Time stands still at tiny Historic Rugby, the restored Victorian village founded in 1880 by British author and social reformer Thomas Hughes. At its peak, some 350 people lived in the colony. More than 60 buildings of Victorian design graced the townscape. When visiting Historic Rugby, you will see the surviving 20 original buildings still standing at the southern edge of the Big South Fork Park, unspoiled by modern development. The Schoolhouse Visitor Centre exhibits a century of Rugby's British and Appalachian heritage. Guided tours are offered daily and take visitors into the 1882 Thomas Hughes Library, where its original 7,000-volume collection is still on the shelves. Visit the 1887 Christ Church Episcopal for Sunday morning service or tour the founder's gothic revival cottage, which is filled with furnishings made by the early colonists. Other stops visitors will want to make include the Rugby Commissary, which is full of traditional crafts, Harrow Road Cafe, Newbury House B&B and Pioneer Cottage.
1331 Rugby Pkwy, P.O. Box #8
National Civil War Trail Marker
This national Civil War trail marker shares the history of local characters in the Civil War. This marker is located on the grounds of Cordell Hull Birthplace Museum State Park.
Sergeant Alvin C. York State Historic Park
The Alvin C. York Sate Historic Park at Pall Mall is a memorial to the most decorated World War I soldier. York's rise to fame resulted from his legendary firefight against the German Army in the Argonne Forest of France. Sgt. York was rewarded with more than 40 allied decorations, including the Congressional Medal of Honor. Visitors can see the family home and farm, the rock ledge where Sgt. York married before the church he helped to build, along with the post office/general store he operated for years. The historic area lies beside the Wolf River and includes a picturesque grist mill, which York operated in the '40s. The park includes a picnic pavilion and playground equipment. His burial site is at the Wolf River Cemetery and is only a short drive away.
2609 North York Hwy.
The Borderlands Foundation Museum
Located within the Amonett Place, The Borderlands welcome is just a few miles from Dale Hollow Lake. The Borderlands exhibit is an interpretive exhibit detailing the people of the area and places of local interest, as well as the events that occurred there during the era of the American Civil War. The museum provides a story of American Civil War families and descendants through the reconstruction of the Union. On display are various artifacts of local interest on loan, along with photos and copies of letters, various maps and reference books.
1005 Livingston Hwy.
Preserving local history for future generations at the local level. The exhibit is open during regular Chamber/Welcome Center business hours. Enjoy the treasure of local history.
1005 Livingston Hwy.
Vann's Branch United Baptist Church
In 1849 Vann's Branch United Baptist Church was established. Baptismal services were often conducted in the nearby Wolf River, and the congregation was noted for their singing. In the 1940s, the U.S. Army Corp of Engineers built Dale Hollow Dam, which formed Dale Hollow Lake. The formation of Dale Hollow Lake forced members of Vann's Branch Community to relocate. The United Baptist Church congregation elected to dismantle the building and move to the Amonett Cemetery on Cordell Hull Memorial Drive. For many years, the original church building has been void of any worship services but is now available for church services and funerals.